This school was under an S.O.S or a reconstitution which meant that the county has taken over. They come in and clean house, which includes all instructional and administrative staff. Everyone lost their jobs, it was a horrible sight and for many veteran teachers it was a slap in the face. No thank you, for the years of service, just pack your bags and get out! No advanced warning just an announcement six weeks before the end of the school year at a staff meeting.
Don't get me wrong the school was in dire need of help. Most of the students were out of control. This school needed security and an administrative staff that would be in control. Unfortunately, these leaders were out of their league. So the county felt they had to get rid of all the staff in order to gain control. I arrived in March and was in shock for the first two weeks. It was clear the students ran the school. I could not imagine how dreadful it was for the teachers that had to endure this environment for an entire school year. The lack of parental involvement gave the school system full rein to do whatever they felt, in many cases just moving students through the system. How can parents leave the future of their children in the hands of strangers that have no idea of how to connect to them? Yes these administrators may be educated but that is only a small fraction of what it takes for any student to be successful.
I taught 5th grade and from what I understand all 5th graders were promoted to the 6th grade. The school system, parents and the community has failed these kids because I know just from my class a few could not read and let's not mention writing a complete sentence. The school to prison pipeline is thriving in this community. How will they survive in middle school? I fear many from this group will not finish high school and if they do, they will not be able to compete in today's job markets. Many of my students have my cell number and I will purpose to keep encouraging them and cheering for them as they move forward in what will be a long and difficult journey for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment