Sunday, April 9, 2023

School Shootings and Educators

 

Beyond the Role of Educators

Panic buttons, electronic gate entry, keyless door entry, classrooms locked, scheduled bathroom breaks, classroom door lockdown devices, security cameras, ballistic film for windows, shatterproof film for classroom doors, metal detectors, clear bookbags, and/or armed school resources officers are some of the many options being discussed at school across the United States. How to protect students and school staff has been a topic for several years but now the concern has escalated. 

Last week, I was nearly brought to tears when implementing another layer of security during the school day. This is truly a sad time in this country and I often wonder if there is hope for our education system. 

Parents are concerned, and rightfully so, about school shootings and they are feeling stressed, scared, and even angry. It doesn't matter where one stands on gun laws, ensuring children are safe is at the top of everyone's list of concerns. As an administrator, I can honestly say I am disturbed as well. This has caused me to question my role and I'm now contemplating leaving the profession. The stress is real and although I know there is a lot of work to be done, this is beyond the role of an educator.

As we continue to make major changes to daily routines across this country, the current education system will not be recognizable in 5 years. Updating pedagogical practices and curriculum should be the topics of discussion, not worrying about where the next school shooting will take place and if schools are ready. Currently, classroom teachers are being trained on how to use Stop the Bleed Kits and how to best protect students when a crazy gun person enters the building.

Finding qualified educators is already a difficult task, however, now it will be nearly impossible. This will result in students with a subpar education. They will not be qualified to enter higher education or even perform basic daily skills that are taught in the classroom unless they have money to pay for education beyond the classroom. This will leave even more students behind. The cycle will evolve as usual. It will be called something else but the casualties will remain the same. 

I do not have the answer to this problem but I do know the education system is in serious trouble because this problem is beyond the role of educators. 

Felecia Tucker M.Ed
www.bewareofed.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment