One of the advantages of being in leadership is that I see teaching and learning from a different perspective. Yes, teaching our students is important but the perspective that has been impactful for me as an educational leader is the teachers. Every school district must cultivate teacher development. The school leader not only ensures proper and consistent training of teachers but also builds relationships with them. I am always telling teachers that a key component to having great learning outcomes is to build relationships with their students. School leaders should do the same with their teachers. Knowing this changes how professional development is determined and how observations are viewed. Yes, there is a basic level of understanding that all teachers should possess but beyond these teachers are individuals each with pedagogical practices that may be amazing or not. Understanding this as a school leader will allow for impactful and meaningful professional learning for teachers.
In addition to revolutionizing teaching, I believe the process of student learning is well overdue for an upgrade and how information is delivered must also change. As I've mentioned in another post, moving away from antiquated teaching practices and truly teaching the individual child would revolutionize education. To evolve with current times, we must ditch traditional teaching strategies and look at each student. This means student learning must be individualized and self-paced. I'm hopeful for the future and will continue to move towards this style of teaching and learning.
www.bewareofed.blogspot.com
Photo Credit: supereval.com

No comments:
Post a Comment